Once upon a time, it used to be that the only connectivity an air conditioner needed was with its remote. These days, though, having Wifi and Internet connectivity has quickly become a standard feature for standard and premium air conditioner models.
To enjoy the benefits of a Wifi-enabled air conditioner, you’ll need three things: a Wifi-enabled air conditioner, a smartphone, and a home Wifi connection. The manufacturer’s mobile app will help you connect your appliance to Wifi in just a few steps. Doing so will allow you to control your air conditioner over the Internet while also viewing data collected by the appliance.
This article will explore the steps necessary to establish a Wifi connection with air conditioners from Samsung, LG, Frigidaire, GE, and Midea.
What You Need To Connect Your Air Conditioner To Wifi
To enjoy the benefits that come with a Wifi-enabled air conditioner, you’ll need the following:
- A Wifi-enabled air conditioner: Firstly, ensure that the air conditioner model you’re buying is equipped with Wifi connectivity. That will allow you to connect it to your home network and control it from your preferred mobile device.
- A smart mobile device (e.g. smartphone or tablet): A smartphone or tablet is crucial for two reasons. Firstly, you’ll need it to set up the connection between your air conditioner and your home Wifi network.
Second, you’ll need to use your smartphone to access all the benefits of that Wifi connectivity, such as remote controlling your air conditioner and accessing data provided by the appliance.These two functions will happen through a compatible mobile app that you will download from the air conditioner’s manufacturer.
- A working Wifi connection: For all of this to be possible, your home Wifi network must also be in good working order. That is crucial as the air conditioner, and the smart device you use will communicate over that Wifi network.
Once you have all three of the items mentioned above, you’re ready to connect your air conditioner to your home Wifi network. Although the steps are generally the same, there will be minor differences depending on the air conditioner brand that you have.
So, let’s take a look at how to connect an air conditioner to Wifi for Samsung, LG, Frigidaire, GE, and Midea models.
Related: What Is A Smart Dryer?
How To Connect Air Conditioner To Wifi Samsung
Here are the steps to follow when connecting a Samsung air conditioner to your home wifi network:
1. Download the SmartThings mobile app.
SmartThings is Samsung’s proprietary app that you will use to connect your air conditioner to your home Wifi network. The app will also be how you’ll control the air conditioner once that connection has been established.
2. Register for a Samsung account and log in:
Before using the app, you’ll first need to open a Samsung account. This process will only take a minute or two. Once you’ve done that, you can log in and proceed with adding your air conditioner.
3. Connect your phone to the air conditioner:
Once you’ve logged into the SmartThings app with your Samsung account, you can then connect your phone to the air conditioner. First, choose ‘Add Device’ on the app and select your air conditioner model.
4. Press the ‘Timer’ button:
On the air conditioner remote, hold the ‘Timer’ button until the air conditioner icon appears on the app. Then, give it some time to connect.
Press the ‘Power’ button: When prompted on your mobile device, press the ‘Power’ button on the air conditioner remote.
5. Select Wifi Network:
Lastly, select which Wifi network you’d like the air conditioner to connect to. There will be specific instructions on-screen to follow, depending on whether you’re using an Android or iPhone device.
How To Connect Air Conditioner To Wifi LG
To connect an LG air conditioner to your Wifi network, follow these steps:
- Download the LG Smart AC app. This is the mobile app you’ll use to connect your air conditioner to Wifi and also control the appliance.
- Create an account and log in. You’ll need an LG account to continue, so register for one through the app or online through the LG website. Once that’s done, log into that account through the app.
- Activate Wifi on the air conditioner. Then, using the remote, press the ‘Fan Speed’ and ‘Mode’ buttons for two seconds. When you see the Wifi indicator light up on the air conditioner display, then you’re ready to connect it.
- Connect the air conditioner. On the LG Smart AC app, select the air conditioner and the Wifi network you’d like to connect it to.
How To Connect Air Conditioner To Wifi Frigidaire
Connecting your Frigidaire air conditioner to Wifi is straightforward with these steps:
1. Download the Frigidaire mobile app:
Start by downloading the Frigidaire mobile app for your mobile device. You’ll be able to find it on Google Play for Android devices and the Apple App Store for Apple devices.
2. Create an account and sign in:
Once you have the app, you’ll need to sign up for a Frigidaire account. Once you have it, you’ll need to sign into it.
3. Add Appliance button:
The app will have an ‘Add Appliance’ button. Pressing that button would be the next step.
4. Hold the Connect button:
On the air conditioner, hold the Connect button until you hear a beep. The Wifi indicator should also start flashing on the appliance. That indicates that the Wifi connectivity on the air conditioner is turned on, and the Frigidaire app will soon be able to detect it.
5. Select the air conditioner and the Wifi network:
Next, follow the prompts on the app to select your air conditioner and the Wifi network you’d like to connect it to. After a few moments, your air conditioner will be connected to your home Wifi network.
How To Connect Air Conditioner To Wifi GE
For users with a GE air conditioner, here are the steps to follow when connecting it to Wifi:
1. Download the SmartHQ mobile app:
When it comes to appliances in the GE ecosystem, the mobile app needed is called SmartHQ. This app is used to connect to and control plenty of GE appliances, especially their air conditioners. Download the app from the App Store (for Apple devices) or Google Play (for Android devices).
2. Create an account and sign in:
Once you have the app, you will need to register for an account before you can use its functions. If you already have an account, then you’ll just need to sign in with your username and password.
3. Add An Appliance and Enter Password:
Click on ‘Add An Appliance’ and choose the option for your air conditioner. On this app, you will be prompted to enter in a password. You can get the password for your air conditioner from the Info Label stuck onto it.
4. Connect the Air Conditioner to Wifi:
The app will prompt you to select your home Wifi network. The steps might differ slightly if you’re using an Android or iPhone. Don’t worry. The app will tell you what steps are necessary for your device.
5. Wait for Prompt:
Connecting the air conditioner will take a few moments. When successful, the Wifi LED will remain solid (instead of blinking), and the app will also display a ‘Congratulations’ message.
How To Connect Air Conditioner To Wifi Midea
Many Midea air conditioner models are also Wifi enabled. Here’s how to connect your air conditioner to your home Wifi network:
Download the Midea Smart app:
For Midea appliances, the mobile app you’ll need to download is called the Midea Smart app. Once you have it on your phone, it would be best to register for an account and log in, though that’s not necessary to proceed to the next step.
Switch to AP mode:
Before proceeding, you’ll need to put the air conditioner into AP mode with the remote. Locate the button that looks like a lightbulb and press it seven times. That will put the air conditioner in AP mode.
You’ll know you’re successful when you see the “AP” indicator flash on the air conditioner’s display board. This mode will last for 8 minutes.
If you take longer than that, you will need to repeat this step to continue.
Connect to air conditioner:
Next, you can use the app to connect the air conditioner to your Wifi network. The steps differ slightly depending on your mobile device operating system:
- For Apple devices: Go to your phone’s network settings (not the one on the Midea Smart app). Select the network that corresponds with your air conditioner. The name will typically start with “AP’. Once you’ve connected to it, open the Midea Smart app and follow the instructions to add your home Wifi network.Doing this will connect your air conditioner directly to your home Wifi network.
- For Android devices, click on ‘Network Settings’ on the Midea Smart app. You will have the option to scan a QR code directly on the air conditioner unit. Then, your air conditioner will be connected to your home Wifi network.