Having a washing machine that suddenly stops working can be very stressful. It can be easy to fall into the fear that it’s broken, and you’ll have to replace the washing machine and be out of hundreds of dollars. However, this worry is often unfounded. There are many reasons why your washing machine may not be working correctly and displaying error code de1.
Simply put, Kenmore Washer Code de1 is an indication that the door is not closed and/or not locked properly. This usually means one of four things:
- The door was not shut with enough force and is still open.
- Something is wrong with or got messed up on the door latch assembly.
- Something is wrong with or got messed up on the control assembly.
- Something is wrong with or got messed up on the door switch assembly.
In the following, we will guide you through what to do when your washing machine isn’t working properly, how to get to diagnostic mode and identify the problem, how to fix the problem, and when you may need to call in a professional. This article will guide you on what you need to do if you have run the diagnostic mode and error code de1 pops up. Read on to find out more.
How to Enter Diagnostic Mode On Kenmore Washer?
If your washing machine is acting up, the first thing you need to do is find out the problem via the diagnostic mode. The following is a step-by-step process of how to get into diagnostic mode for a front-loading model of a Kenmore washing machine:
- Make sure the washer is completely empty. This will ensure that nothing is in the way or may affect the sensors. Close the door.
- Next, depending on the model of your washer, push a button labeled “Control/On” or “Start.”
- Once you have pushed the start button, press the button labeled “Drain” or “Spin.”
- In the option for Spin Speed, press “No spin.”
- Then push the button labeled “Pre-wash” or “Rinse” four times. It is very important that you press the button four times within five seconds.
- From there, C:00 will light up, and the diagnostic will start.
If you have done all of this correctly, it should display errors. If the error displayed is de1, read on to find out what to do next.
What Should You Do If You Are Getting Code De1 on Your Kenmore Washer?
If the problem ends up being the first one listed up top, it is obviously a simple and easy fix that you can do yourself. However, if the issue lies with any of the latter three, you may need to call in a professional to officially diagnose and fix the problem.
Before you do that, there are a couple of other things you can try first and see if that helps.
How Can I Fix and Clear the De1 Error Code?
Before you waste too much energy trying to fix the problem, check for the simplest solution: Whether the door is completely closed. Close it firmly and try to run the cycle. If the error code still persists, but before you call in any professionals, proceed to the following steps:
- If there are any clothes inside the washing machine, make sure you remove them. There may be a certain point where the washing machine is locked, and you don’t want your clothes to be stuck in there and get mildewed.
- If there is any water left in the washing machine, drain it before continuing. You can usually do this by running the drain/spin cycle (make sure to choose the “No Spin” option). If, for some reason, this doesn’t drain the water, unplug the washing machine entirely and suck the water out through the drain hose using a wet/dry shop vac.
- If there was no water in the washing machine, skip the second step and go directly to unplugging the washing machine. Leave it unplugged for 10 seconds, then plug it back in.
- Double check the door to make sure it’s closed, and try running the cycle again.
What Should I Do If the Error Code Persists?
If you have taken the steps above and the error code hasn’t gone anywhere, then you will need to call a professional to come and fix the problem. However, before you do that, make sure you do the following:
- As before, make sure all the water is entirely drained by running the Drain/Spin cycle on “No Spin.”
- Next, close the water taps. You can do this by turning them clockwise. This will ensure that no water inadvertently drips or drains into the washing machine while you’re waiting for someone to come and look at it.
- Finally, unplug the washing machine entirely and leave it unplugged until the service worker has come to diagnose the problem.
The de1 error code may pop up when you run the diagnostic mode on your washing machine. Getting to the diagnostic mode is a simple affair with a few steps that are easy to follow.
Connect with an Appliance Repair Tech
Click here to use the chatbox to speak with one of our technicians.
No in-home service calls. No appointments.
Read through the directions a couple of times, keeping in mind that some steps are time-sensitive. The de1 error code on a Kenmore washer is a bit hit or miss as to whether you will be able to fix it yourself. Don’t give up too quickly or automatically assume it is a complicated problem.
The very first thing you should do is make sure the door is completely closed. You may not have closed it hard enough. Once you have made sure it’s closed, try rerunning the washer.
If the error persists, unplug the washing machine, leave it unplugged for ten seconds, plug it back it in and try running the machine again. If the error code is still there, then it is time to call in the professionals. Before you do, make sure the washer is unplugged and the taps are off.