Maytag has a high-reliability rate but sometimes it can have basic water flow issues. This is when the LF error code shows up on your display.
The Maytag washer code LF means water isn’t filling the drum within the programmed time set within the appliance’s control system. It only tells you the symptom that water isn’t flowing into the machine but doesn’t tell you why. That is up to to you to diagnose and fix.
You do not need to worry. This type of problem is generally a simple one and can be easily remedied by following the advice given below.
Maytag Washer Not Filling: What To Check?
Several things could be causing water flow issues with your Maytag washer. It could be either a problem with the drain hose or with the water inlet hose or filter.
First, check to make sure the drain hose is properly connected to the drainpipe. It should be securely attached but sometimes whoever installs it may not install it properly. It should be 4.5 inches (114mm) into the drain pipe. Maytag service center states you shouldn’t use tape to secure the hose to the drain pipe as that can also cause drainage issues.
While you are looking at the drain hose, make sure the hose doesn’t have any twists in it. It should flow in a straight path to the washer without coiling or kinking.
There could be a clog in the drain hose too. To check that, you can use what is called “a snake,” which is a long cable with a blunt end, to push up through the drain hose from the open end going into the drain pipe.
You can also blow through the open end hard to try to clean any blockage.
The Water Inlet Hoses
The next items you need to check are the inlet hoses. There are two and each is connected to the hot and cold water taps. Sometimes, these may come loose or also be improperly installed. You will also need to check the filters in each of the inlet hoses.
Checking Water Inlet Filters
The water to your machine must be shut off before you check the water inlet valves and filters. Go ahead and turn off the water to the washer by turning the hot and cold taps off.
Now, you can disconnect the water inlet hoses. Look at where they are connected to your washing machine and disconnect one. There will be a rubber gasket at the top of the valve. Remove that and clean it. Then, you will see a screen.
You should be able to remove the screen to clean them. Wash under cool, running tap water. The grime may be hardened, which may require you to scrape it off. Be careful so you don’t damage the filter.
After you’ve cleaned the inlet hose filters, put them back into the hose along with the rubber gasket. Reattach and turn the water back on. You will need to reset the washing machine and run a diagnostic cycle to make sure it’s working well.
How often will I need to clean out drain hoses or inlet hoses?
You shouldn’t have to clean out the hoses on your Maytag washer often. It really depends on how many loads of laundry you do daily. Clogs occur when the lint, hair, and fabric threads accumulate from laundry over time and get caught in one of the hoses.
Those that do two or three loads a day can expect to clean out their hoses slightly more often than those who use their washing machines less often.
Can I put an anti-flood control or device on my washer?
Maytag experts state this isn’t a good idea because it could interfere with water properly flowing into your washer within the correct time programmed on the washer’s control panel.
What does LF stand for?
The LF in the washer code error means “long fill.” It means the washer is taking too long to fill up with water. The main control will shut down if it doesn’t get a signal from the water pressure sensor indicating the water is at the proper level. The error pops up when the control panel shuts down.
What do I do to reset my Maytag washer?
You can reset your Maytag washer in three easy steps.
- There is a power/cancel button. Press it.
- Choose the cycle where you want your washer to start.
- The last thing you need to do is press the start/pause button.
Your Maytag washer is now reset and you can continue with your cycle.
How can I get into the diagnostic mode on my Maytag washer?
Running a diagnostic test should be done with caution. There are moving parts working and the tests bypass some of the machine’s safety features.
Here is how you run a diagnostic test on your Maytag washer:
- Make sure the washer is plugged in, has all indicators off, and is in standby mode.
- Press and hold a button on the washer’s console for three seconds. It can be any button except Start, Stop, or Power. After you release the button, press and hold for three more seconds. Do this process one more time.
- This will put you into diagnostic tests more. You will know it worked because all the lights will turn on for five seconds. There will be an “88” on the time display. If it didn’t work repeat the first process again but use a different button. You will need to call your service technician if you can’t enter the diagnostic mode.
- Once you are in diagnostic mode, the saved fault codes will show up on the display. Otherwise, all indicator lights will turn off and back on with the “88” displayed. The automatic testing will begin in five seconds if there are no errors.
- You should write down any errors you see so you can report them to your service technician.
- Press either the “stop” or “power” button to get out of the diagnostic mode.
Can I drain my Maytag washer manually?
Yes, you can drain your Maytag washer manually but it will take a bucket, some towels, and time.
- First, move the washer from the wall. Turn off the power by using the power button and then unplugging it. Turn off the water connections.
- Now, you will first need to remove any laundry in the drum. Then take a pitcher or a bucket and scoop out water in the drum.
- Once you’ve gotten as much as you can out of the drum, take your bucket and put it under the drain hose. Disconnect it from the wall or sink drain and lower the open end into the bucket to get rid of any water left.
Are Maytag washers still reliable?
Maytag washers have always been the affordable, reliable standard many people stick with. The lower price point wins many people over and some can last for more than 20 years.
How do you clear an error code from the Maytag washer display?
You should first work to correct the problem the code is indicating. Clearing it without fixing the problem won’t do any good because it will just pop up again.
However, you can clear the code once the washer is fixed by pressing the pause/cancel button twice and then pressing the power button once.
Unplug the washer for one minute if the code doesn’t disappear after pressing the buttons. Then plug it back in. If that doesn’t work, remove all laundry from the drum and restart the clean wash cycle.
A time may come when your Maytag washer could have an error code indicating there is an issue with water flow. However, there are simple explanations for the root cause of the problem. Most of the time, you can fix these issues yourself without a lot of tools or technical knowledge.