5 Most common Lg Refrigerator Ice Maker Problems

DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we receive a commission at no additional cost to you

Your LG refrigerator ice maker was working, but now is not making ice? In this article, we will show you the most common LG Refrigerator Ice Maker Problems and how to test ice maker.

The most common LG refrigerator Ice Maker problems caused by temperature fluctuations (in the ice maker compartment), a faulty water inlet valve, a broken ice maker, a malfunctioned control board, or a faulty ice maker fan in the freezer section.

Let’s start with a simple diagnostic test you can run that may provide some insight on what that problem could be.

Please see Updates at the end of this post ” How To Troubleshoot Optical Sensors On The Ice Maker?”

Lg Refrigerator Ice Maker Troubleshooting

To run the ice maker test mode, first of all, pull the handle to open the ice room and remove the ice bucket.

Lg Refrigerator Ice bucket removing

There are two styles of LG refrigerator ice makers. On this first model, this is the power button.

Make sure it is turned on. The test button is underneath.

Here in the ice room put the towel to catch water or ice that may fall when you run the test mode.

Lg Refrigerator Ice room

Press and hold the button for about 3 seconds and the ice maker will begin to turn. If water or ice were to fall from the tray, the towel is there to catch it. The tray only holds about 4 or 5 oz of water.

Here’s a another style of ice maker on this model. There’s no power switch and no tray. Even though there’s no tray you should still place a towel below the ice maker before running the tests.

Lg refrigerator New ice maker

On this type of ice maker, there is a tiny hole on the left side. This is a Test Button. So press and hold the button for about 3 seconds until the arm starts to turn.

For the first 2 hours, the refrigerator has been plugged in, the ice maker test can only be run once. If you wish to run the test mode a second time, unplug the unit for about 30 seconds to reset the ice maker.

Why Lg Refrigerator Ice Maker Not Filling With Water

1.Water Filter – If during the test mode your ice maker didn’t fill with water, then check your water filter.

Without filter or when the filter installed not properly in the filter housing, water will not flow to the ice maker and water dispenser.

You just need slide filter into the housing, PUSH and TWIST to lock it.

If you recently changed the water filter and you noticed the ice maker started to leak, the problem can be with water pressure.

With a new filter, water will flow more freely and when it reached ice maker it may create a splash.

Some amount of water will leak in the ice maker compartment to the very bottom and eventually will be on the floor.

If you have ball-type water tap behind the fridge, try to decrease incoming water pressure to the fridge by turning at 45 or less degrees. You need to play with it, to reach reasonable water pressure.

To do this adjustment, turn water tap to 45 degrees and let somebody will push water dispenser using big cup or something like that.

This way you will be able to decrease water pressure to desirable level.

Another problem can be when the ice maker leaking, its when ice maker dumping ice in the bucket, some ice cubes might stuck in the tray.

And when fresh water will fill ice maker, it actually will overfill and some amount of water will spill over the tray.

In this case, pull the ice maker out and clean inner side of the tray from the calcium build up.

2. Inlet ValveWhen the water inlet valve failed, you will not have water as well. In order to check the inlet valve, you just need Multimeter.

But keep in mind, that LG fridges have 2 inlet valves. Main valve on the back of the fridge, secondary(for the ice maker) in the left door.

You need to check them both. Secondary valve getting water from the main valve. But from my experience, secondary valve causing most of the problem with the ice maker.

3. Water Hose – Behind your LG fridge there is a water hose connected to the inlet valve. If the water hose is kinked, it will restrict water flow to the inlet valve.

4. Ice Maker – If ice maker failed to perform diagnostic test and you not able to run it, then most likely ice maker motor failed.

5. Control board – Every LG refrigerator has a control board. If the control board not sending power to the ice maker or one of the relays on the control board failed, then the ice maker will not run.

Important: If all components mentioned above in the article are ok and ice maker working ONLY when you press RESET button (ice maker should make a full turn and not making ice in automatic after that), then there is a problem with the main control board or optical sensors on the ice maker.

Make sure the control board will fit with your model of the fridge !!!

why Is Ice maker not producing ice?

One of the reasons is malfunctioned ice maker fan, which is located in the freezer compartment.

This fan blows cold air into ice maker compartment and freezes up water.

If the temp in the ice maker compartment will be high than -12C, ice will not be produced.

In order to check if this fan is working, you need to apply a magnet to simulate a closed door ( see top side of the door where the magnet is located)

If you feel cold air coming out from the vents, fan is good.

This is a picture of back panel in the freezer compartment with evaporator and ice maker fans.

Ice maker fan part# ADJ72911303

What should my LG freezer be set at to produce ice?

-2°F or -20°C is the recommended temperature setting for normal ice production. In order to adjust the temperature: Press the FREEZER button to cycle through the range of available settings and set it to the desired temperature.

How to Reset LG Refrigerator Ice Maker

In order to reset ice maker, unplug your refrigerator or turn breaker OFF for at least 30 sec. This procedure will reset the ice maker.

What Does Ice Plus Mean On My LG Refrigerator?

When all the ice in the LG refrigerator is used, it will take 2 hours to produce the next bunch of ice cubs. Some LG models are equipped with an “Ice Plus” feature. This feature just speeds up the freezing process and allows it to produce ice cubes 2 times faster.

How long does it take for LG fridge to make ice?

It depends. If you just bought and installed LG refrigerator then it may take about 24 hours. But if your refrigerator works more than 24 hours, in this case, every 2-3 hours ice maker will produce new ice cubes.

UPDATE: This is how ice maker works when releasing ice cubes and it’s normal to twist ice tray. For those who didn’t know that, it seems like the right side of the ice tray been jammed.

Update: How To Test Optical Sensor on The LG Ice Maker?

Optical sensor malfunctioning, one of the reasons why your ice maker may complete Harvest Cycle, but not working in Automatic Mode.

The first thing you need to do is to check optical sensors:

1. Remove Ice Bin from the compartment
  2. Close the left door
  3. Wait for 3 minutes
  4. Freezer Door stays open
  5. Push Refrigerator button and Lock button at the same time

If ETY is shown on the display after the procedure above, Ice-detecting sensor is normal.

If FULL is shown on the display after the procedure above, Ice-detecting sensor is abnormal.

When it shows FULL with empty ice bin, something wrong with these sensors. As long as they are part of the ice maker, one of the options is to replace ice maker and see if it will solve the problem.

You can get a new ice maker on the link below

Need This Part? Click Here

LG Fridge Service Manual

Ice Maker Troubleshooting starts from page 106

Reader Comments (574)

1. I have an LG model LFX25950SB. Replaced icemaker twice in past 15 months- ice maker works after pushing cube size button, but no lights in cube size. After 4 or 5 hours, no ice or water- push cube button again and you get ice and water. This procedure will go on for days until you no longer get ice or water no matter how many times you push the cube button. After blocking off the vents to the icemaker and waiting 24 hrs, it will start making ice again when the cube button is pushed. Still no lights in cube buttons (as original when delivered)

2. I have LG model LFX2868ST04. I’ve replaced the water inlet valve and the ice maker assembly and neither solved the issue. The water tube that is used to fill the ice maker keeps freezing, not allowing water to enter the ice trays. If I use a blow drier to thaw the inlet tube it will make ice for a few trays and then freeze again. What else can I try to fix this issue, I’m going insane!

3. I have an LG LFXC24796D. ice maker would go,thru full cycle every 3ish minutes. Never stopping to allow ice to freeze. Thus water everywhere. I replaced ice maker, the same thing, replaced water intake valve. Reset ice maker, did a hard reset of unplugging refrigerator. Still doing the same thing. Everything mechanically seems to be working but the timing of the ice maker. Any ideas as to what next?

4. I have an LG LMX25981ST. If you reset the icemaker, it makes one batch of ice and then stops. No water fills the tray after the initial batch. Obviously everything is functional enough to make a single batch. Is this a control board issue?

• Seems like your model has an ordinary icemaker with an ice-level arm.
      So, in your case, it can be the ice maker itself faulty or the main control board.

• Check the Level of your icemaker. Mine was very loose and leaning forward causing the rotating ice remover “Claws” to be touching the water in the tray and freezing the claws in place. Leveling fixed this for me. Took me a while to figure out. I think the Ice Maker just started sagging a bit over time.

• 1. Icemaker fan not working, thus not cooling properly ice maker compartment. (located in the freezer)
      2. Evaporator coils in the freezer has some ice build-up
      3. Icemaker compartment not properly sealed

5. My LG refrigerator, has no water supply issues. No issues getting water from the dispenser, but NO water to the ice maker. On LG’s video, they claim that if you have water at the dispenser, then the ice maker has water…BS. This refer is 5 years old, but for what I paid, it should not be having issues. The GE side by side that it replaced, is chugging along in the garage, and has not had a single issue in 23 years!

I learned my lesson here.

6. Mr. Smith on the side of the LG sxp 450 model, pieces of ice are poured into the tank behind the door, but it is not poured out into the glass, which means that the tank lid does not open. What is the reason?

7. The ice maker has made about 12 pieces of ice 2 different times. We have tried to push the reset button, nothing happens. I do not see the optical sensors on the ice maker, should I? The model is LRFV3006D/O1.

• This model doesn’t have ice maker with optical sensor, ice level arm instead..
      If you can’t reset ice maker, maybe it malfunctioned. I dont know for sure.
      here is a new ice maker for your model.

8. Ice dispenser not working. I removed the ice bin, emptied all the ice to ensure nothing was clogging the metal blades. Allowed the bin to fill up and its still not dispensing ice. The delivery chute is clear. The dispenser switch activates when depressed but still nothing. Any ideas?
    Model: lg lfxs29626b/00

• Can you hear humming coming from the ice bin motor? I would disassemble ice maker compartment, simulate door closed and push dispenser switch to check if the motor is getting power. if its not getting power, it’s either a wiring issue or display control board issue

9. I have an LG model LFXS29626B. The door ice maker is making ice as normal; however, water is leaking from the right corner and freezing solid at the bottom of the ice bin, preventing its removal. I use a hairdryer to thaw the ice and remove the ice bin. Now the ice dispenser is clicking the its on but no ice is dispense.

10. My ice maker makes such a low amount of ice. I replaced the filter twice, the line is fine. I fill a cup of water in 5 seconds. I replaced the inlet valve and I don’t know what else to do. I got a new ice maker part but it still sucks. I pushed ice plus and nothing. I have to prime the ice to drop and make new ice. But when I do reset the cycle it fills the water fine and the ice drop but they never drop without me pushing the reset button to make it cycle . What is wrong?

11. Ice drops when I push the rest button, the tray refills but doesn’t drop it again without me pressing the rest button. Thank you!

• 1. Ice level malfunctioned
      2. Control board failed
      3. Wiring issues
      For this kind of issue, I recommend you to troubleshoot by experienced technician.

12. We have an LG LCD22370 fridge with an ice maker in the bottom drawer.

It is making ice but when it goes to knock the ice out it makes a really loud knocking sound.

Like it is trying to break the ice away but it keeps on knocking, and knocking, its like the gears keep on turning and won’t stop.

What can be done? What part do we need?

• i don’t know. You need to troubleshoot that by yourself. Seems like something is jamming the ice tray and the icemaker motor is not able to turn the tray. Try to remove icemaker and see what may cause the problem

13. My ice maker is making ice fine. My problem is the ice chute keeps getting clogged with clumped ice. The ice maker is used every day. After reading the ice maker trouble shooting guide provided on this site, it appears I need to replace the cap duct. Is this a DIY repair or do I need a repairman?

14. The ice dispenser works fine, but the overflow ice bin in the freezer draw gets water in it and turns into one solid block of ice. What is the cause and fix?

15. You have sealed it. I’m never buying any kind of LG product ever again. You have made such a simple process overly complicated in this Ice maker. My wife deserves a ice maker and paid her money for such a failure. I can’t wait for people to wise up to your profiteering and stop buying from LG

• I agree! My ice maker needed replacing after 6 months. LG refused to respond to emails. I also have a drop in electric stove, and a front-load washer from LG. They are all pieces of crap. I am replacing them with other brands. Disappointing for such high prices.

• Why are you throwing a fit here? If you want to have a tantrum over your ice maker then tell LG directly. Complaining about it here does nothing.

16. I have an LG model LFX31925SB. Ice maker works fine, drops ice in bucket fine, but the dispenser isn’t working. Press the lever and get nothing…. not even any sound. Can this be fixed?